Sunday, November 27, 2016

Gobbling up the Great Outdoors!

Since our little turkeys had the entire week off of school and we were traveling to meet family anyway for Thanksgiving, Daniel and I decided to go camping again! Hmmm, I'm not sure if you can tell the excitement level here...
 This crew has only been tent camping together which isn't the easiest with Max, so we started the hunt for a used pop-up. After looking at a few, we found a steal and brought our 'pup' home! Now, this momma is a newby to the whole camping scene outside of a tent and primitive campsite...so I probably raised that excitement level up a couple notches. I mean, we now have beds...a sink with running water...and electricity to feed Max all night long...woohoo!
 I'm constantly amazed at how much our kids want to help out and take pride in pitching in. In our home we don't have "chores" and we don't receive payment...we have responsibilities. As a responsible family member in this home, you all pitch in whenever needed, no questions asked...and it works for us. These kids often ask how they can help...and this momma loves it! Camping has followed this theme and Daniel is so good at finding responsibilities that are appropriate for them.
 Set up was quicker than expected for me which was a treat and I know it will go even faster after I become a seasoned 'pup' owner :). Now, if you know this momma, I am all about making everything cutesy...so we know this camper is no different and will definitely have the "Natalie" stamp on it! I've already had the cushions reupholstered...
 and have intentions of coordinating the rest of the 'pup'. Daniel and I have a king size bed on our side  which Max spent a lot of time playing on when indoors...
 as you can see, he is loving this new arrangement too! The other side has a queen size bed that the kids will share. We were even able to put up a toddler rail so Max can't fall out of bed since he still sleeps like an infant.
 Our camper also has a mini-fridge, stove, oven, microwave, and sink. We don't plan on cooking often indoors {unless it's raining}, but the sink is all kinds of awesome compared to tent camping! 
Look at my little dishwashers go! Daniel and I decided to take our little turkeys to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park rather than our usual state park sites. The Jellystone Parks are super fun and perfect for kids because they have loads of amenities if you want to do more than hike or fish.
This park had a playground in eye view of our 'pup' which was incredible because the kids could run back and forth between the two places safely.
 They also had a couple of ponds for fishing...
 a water park and slides that are open year round with heated pools...
 and putt-putt!
I'm sure you are annoyed by all my gushing over here, but seriously people...look at how much room Max has to play now! It's like a whole new world of camping now...
I also loved that I could turn on the radio, prepare part of dinner indoors, while visiting with Daniel grilling outside...
 Since our girl Zoe loves her some marshmallows and smores, we of course had our roasting by the fire...
 before heading over to the outdoor movie! I'm telling you, coolest kid's park ever! I think breakfast is one of my favorite times of day when camping. I love crawling out of bed, watching the sun peak in the horizon {since my turkeys are too excited to sleep in when camping}, and enjoy the crisp cool air that is only found in the early morning hours. Then you add in the smells of bacon and eggs...hmmm perfect!
 Since we were only about an hour from my parents, Doc joined us for a day trip! Mimi was working and was sadly missed...but these kids soaked up the love from their Doc...
Of course the major obstacle we heard from pop-up owners is how they weather a storm...and so we broke that "new to us" pup in real good when a huge storm rolled in on our last night. I'm glad to report that the camper was not cramped with 5 of us in there at all. Max and Daniel hung out on the bed until he fell asleep while I taught the kids a few card games.
My favorite part of playing card games with these two munchkins was when Zoe asked Kason if he had two o's that were right by each other! She was talking about an 8...hehe! Side note: my hand was a wee bit sore from a mean game of slap jacks :). Oh friends, I can already tell so many incredible memories are going to be made in our 'pup' and I can hardly wait! I love the sweet snuggles between brothers {and yes, Kason held Max's hand until they fell asleep}...
to the early morning giggles and whispers Daniel and I wake up to on camping mornings. And if I ever stop to wonder, was the purchase of a used pop-up worth it for this family...
all I have to do is look at this picture and there is a resounding, YES! This crew of mine loves adventure, loves the great outdoors, and loves camping...but let's be honest, there are definite challenges to having a special needs kid. Well, this 'pup' just made these experiences for our little family a whole lot more enjoyable so we can gobble up the great outdoors as much as possible now!

No comments:

Post a Comment