Friday, July 29, 2016

Summer Adventures #weekeight

Oh man friends, this week was gloriously wonderful as all five of us were finally home all week together again! Week eight of our summer fun was time well spent playing, relaxing, and just soaking up each other's company. I only had one "must do" on my calendar this last week {well besides therapy of course} and the rest of the week was leisurely. Last Friday, I had a meeting at church so Daniel took Kason and Zoe hiking while waiting for me & Max to finish up...
 Daniel missed his little rascals like crazy, so it was fun to spend the entire weekend at home starting that afternoon. It was awesome...plain and simple. We didn't really do much but just hang out together. On Saturday, the kids were wanting to do an activity so we opted to make our own bouncy ball...
The bouncy balls were interesting because they weren't as hard as the store bought ones, they were a little squishy...
 but what do you know...
 they actually bounced! Kason {my little imaginative thinker} had the bright idea to get his catapult to see if they could launch the bouncy calls even farther! Love that brain of his.
 Later that afternoon when the heat was unbearable outside, Zoe begged to get her makeup out yet again...which is a common daily theme in our house :). Let's be honest, this momma is not a make-up guru and hardly wears any, so Kason isn't really around this glamorous ritual, but he was incredibly intrigued by it when Zoe was putting my face on. He asked Zoe if he could do hers...
 seriously, big brother award right here! He had fun because Kason thought it was just like painting his artwork...
 and Zoe just loved Kason taking a special interest in her and her hobbies. When I say we were lazy this weekend, I wasn't exaggerating...
 We all may have had a little too much screen time, but these snuggle buddies are just too precious! After a chill weekend, we continued the theme throughout the week...

Monday:
Kason was itching to get to the pump track, so we obliged.
If you aren't familiar with a pump track, it is a little trail/track with bumps and turns to ride your bike on...
I was impressed with how well Kason's bike handling skills have improved. He didn't crash once and only had to stop on one tall hill before rolling down it. Zoe and Max hung out with me in the shade at first until little lady decided to give it a try...
 that lasted all of about 30 seconds, haha! She isn't a thrill seeker for one, but for two she isn't a huge fan of her strider bike. In case you are wondering, she can't ride her bike with training wheels on the course. Therefore Zoe did what she does best...
she ran it! That girl is lightning fast and just took off...all over that course. She really enjoyed herself running up and over the little hills. There is a really great park across the street, so before heading home we decided to play there a bit. Man, can I just share how hot it is here right now?!? It is sweltering and Monday was the first day that the kids asked to come inside because they were so hot. I set up the sprinkle outside for a bit to cool them off before they came in for the afternoon...
 I don't know what else shouts summer time more than sprinkles and popsicles!
 For the rest of the day, these kids did what they do best around our home...
 play! I love how they spend time playing together, spend time playing alone, spread out all over the house, use their imaginations, and just be kids. This is a great picture of what our home looks like during free play time {which is the majority of our summer days when home}. These two do their thing while Max either listens to music or watches Mickey Mouse while playing with his toys...
 Max is starting to have definite opinions of what he wants to do and is fixating on particular toys/music/movies so we just help him find a happy place.

Tuesday:
Our super fun friends, the Baur girls, came to swim! These little fish had loads of fun splashing together...
 Max hasn't loved getting in the pool as much this summer, so after taking a quick dip he chose to hang with me and Ann in the shade. After swimming and lunch, I thought we could try making homemade ice cream together. Let's just say that all the excitement that went into making it...
 was the best part, haha! This recipe was definitely a Pinterest fail which was a bummer because it allowed each kid to make their own baggy of ice cream, but at least these cuties didn't mind trying it out with a little dab of chocolate sauce :)...
 This is what I love so much about summer, this moment captured below...
 I adore the amount of time my kids get to spend with one another. Yes, we have moments of arguing...yes, we have moments where they want to play by themselves...yes, we have moments where they just aren't kind to one another...but, we have way more moments of them bonding. I love how Kason and Zoe even try to include Max in their play time {even when he isn't interested}...
 as you can tell, they decided to dog pile their older bro :).

Wednesday:
Our activity for the day was painting! Zoe has been asking to get the paint out, but she always seems to ask at the worst times like right before we leave or at the end of the day. Since we didn't have anything going on that day, I let them spread on out and gave them freedom to release their creative juices...
I even thought it would be fun to show a real life picture...
 if you look closely you will see that I was doing dishes, while the kids painted, and Max hung out with his keys near us...
 If you ever drop by during my time at home with the kids, this is how we roll around here. If I'm not helping them with something, then I'm visiting/singing/dancing around doing chores right alongside them playing. Zoe has been enjoyable lately when we draw because she is really into adding details and telling me all about what she is doing. Kason has always been my more abstract kid and wouldn't really ever walk me through his artwork like she does. This week he was all excited and actually had a vision...
 This kid has an incredible heart and I pray often for God to continue to purse him and keep his heart captivated! How many 7 year olds would choose to create the crucifixion? My heart is full with his love for God! Wednesday was my 34th birthday, and Daniel surprised us with Tiff's Treats for an afternoon snack!
 Yum, yum...
 these warm cookies were delicious. The kids surprised me with homemade cards that morning and Daniel put the kids to bed early so he could cook me a steak candlelit dinner. I must say this was one of my favorite birthdays yet!

Thursday:
Thursday is always our long therapy day and I made these poor kids go to the big Dillard's sale shopping with me, so we hit up another park that morning to get a few wiggles out. There was a cool breeze that morning and these swinging fools didn't want to stop...
 I'm fairly certain these two would do it all day if possible :). Since I dragged those poor kids shopping with me, I made a special exception and let them visit the candy store in the mall...
 It was a little overwhelming for them to choose a few candies to pour into their bags, but their excitement finally won out and they made their choices. After we brought Max home to have quiet time after therapy, the rest of us headed outdoors to make our own rocket. That's right, let's blast off!
 This was no pinterest fail, was way cool, and definitely kid approved! After making our rocket indoors, we poured vinegar into the bottle before sprinkling a little baking soda next, then corking it and turning it over...
We didn't measure anything, so sometimes it would flop...but other times it blasted off really high!
Kason and Zoe were full of smiles as we talked about the ratio to make it go higher and farther. Our last shot was the best one we had and the cool part was Daniel came home from work right when it shot off! Do you see the rocket near the fire hydrant?!?

Friday:
Zoe loved going to the Alamo Drafthouse a couple of weeks ago for their $1 summer club and has been asking to go again, so we got tickets for the family today to see Babe.
Can I admit that sadness is starting to creep in on me? It is the end of July and I'm in denial that school is quickly approaching. I just can't seem to hug these three loves up enough this summer. They hold my heart and make me wish summer was year around!

1 comment:

  1. Your week was a lot more fun than ours! First I had unpacking/laundry/mail to get caught up in from being out of town. And then we potty trained so the girls have been glued to the tv while I pumped them full of snacks & liquids trying to get her to pee! Hopefully we'll get back to enjoying summer this week :)

    ReplyDelete