Friday, March 23, 2012

Visually Speaking...

Mr. Max has had his glasses for a couple of weeks now and if I must say so myself...he is just precious in them...no, I'm not bias at all! I'm not going to lie to you though...I thought for sure when we put his prescription glasses on him for the first time something momentous was going to happen...I don't know what, maybe fireworks?!? I know...I know...I had deluded myself into thinking that he would magically look at me and smile gloriously basking in the massive grin shining upon my face while having an ah-ha moment thinking...wow, that is what my mommy looks like! Crazy...I know...but I'm ever hopeful! Well sadly I must confess no such thing happened...only in my dreams. :) Instead, nothing really changed at first visually speaking, except for maybe him trying to figure out what the new contraption was on his face...

Now that Maxers has been wearing them for a bit, I am slowly beginning to see a few changes. He tracks objects for small distances near his face, is reaching/grabbing toys near his face easier with one grasp now instead of looking like he is feeling around in the dark, and when you put a toy on his tray he will actually pick it up to play with it instead of me trying to get him to notice it. We are fortunate because he actually likes his glasses and rarely tries to take them off. When he does manage to wriggle them free I think it more for curiosity of what they are rather than being annoyed by them...like I said previously, he has turned in to being a laid back little guy. You usually have to work a smile out of Max, but there have been a few occasions recently where he has smiled at his hand or a toy, it may be a rare, but just oh-so adorable...

Max and I recently met with the vision therapist he will be working with for her to evaluate him and help create our plan of action for vision. After the evaluation, Maxers was diagnosed visually impaired. After our therapist works with him for awhile longer and he continues to develop, we will have a better understanding of his visual capacity. I am extremely thankful because as of right now, the therapist doesn't think he will need to use braille. Well, to be honest again, this Clayton Crew loves a new adventure so we are ready to take on whatever our Maxers may need!

No comments:

Post a Comment