Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Clayton Coop...

The kids and I have been going to a Homeschool Farm Co-Op this spring and have fallen in love with farm life. (A long post is coming regarding our farm school.) Unfortunately, we live in the city. So I told Daniel we are going to bring as much country to this city house as we can :). Our first venture of mini-homesteading...chickens! Over Easter weekend, we picked out 5 baby chicks and brought them home. Let me preface with saying I never saw myself having chickens in my backyard, much less in my house...but I love it as much as the kids do!
The family named all 5 chickens. I picked Twitter, Dad chose Fred, Zoe went with Tweety, and Kason settled on Black Diamond and Fuzz Ball. It's pretty precious to see the kids wake up and immediately say good morning to "the ladies" as I call them.
 The kids have been incredible at helping and doing the chores needed to care for the chickens. 
I mean, they even made a checklist...hahahaha!
The guys decided to build a chicken coop which was an awesome homeschool math project for Kason. Daniel is so, so good at teaching him and letting him do real work.
Zoe isn't interested in building, but she does love to help in some way...so she helped buy supplies and they both helped me paint.
When the coop was complete, the kids could hardly wait to transfer "the ladies" to their new home!!
 Unfortunatley, our yard is ridiculously sloped, so the bottom of the coop looks a little rough. BUT, the coop turned out simply precious. This past month has been adorable to watch the kids take pride in caring for an animal. If you notice in the back of the bottom picture we also started a small garden to eat from. Who knows what's next in our mini-homesteading adventure :)!
One of my favorite experiences is watching the kids let the chickens out to roam at night. If you can't tell, we are lovin' our urban farm life!

No comments:

Post a Comment