Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Celebrating the Holidays...

It seems every year this month just sneaks by without always getting everything done I envision. I didn't have time to do a full mommy school, but it didn't stop us from having a little holiday fun! We had a "snow" day...oh, you know the kind with fake snow since it doesn't really get cold in Austin :).
Zoe loved playing in the snow, especially burying olaf and digging him out! Max had a tummy bug and was home all week with us, so he joined in one day. He wasn't too impressed by this stuff we call snow...
Several years ago I bought this melting snowman kit and Kason plays with it every Christmas. This was the first year Zoe discovered it. She loved it so much she played with it nearly everyday.
Of course we read several holiday books throughout the month. So this day I worked with Max on finding Frosty the Snowman on each page...
He was so funny! I showed him on the first page where Frosty was and then on each page he smiled real big and pointed to the exact same spot...haha! I don't think he grasped the concept one bit, but we still had fun. Zoe practiced her sewing skills when we made this snowman craft together...
A couple of times we used our brown play dough from Thanksgiving to make gingerbread men. I didn't get any pictures, but Zoe would roll out the dough, cut the shapes out, then decorate them with wiggly eyes and beads. Another day we worked a small to large size sorting activity... 
I gave her several strips of green paper and she had to order them in size to make a Christmas tree. Another fun activity that she loved was working with magnets...
When Kason was out of school for the break, we had fun wrapping up daddy's gifts together...
I was literally the tape lady...haha! They did all the wrapping themselves and just yelled "tape" when needed :). One night we went to our good friends, the Baur's house for some holiday fun since all our husbands were out of town on a ski trip together. Ann had the kids make peppermint ornaments which I was super excited about because I have always wanted to try it.
The littlest ladies loved sitting by the oven to watch them melt. They turned out super cute, but they are crazy fragile. Some would snap just trying to get them out of the cookie cutters. We were able to salvage a few...
One night during my work hours, I baked 18 mini-loaves of banana nut bread for everyone in Daniel's office. Before we left for Christmas, my little elves hand delivered each one to the admins and ministers...they were so cute wishing everyone a Merry Christmas! The final activity I did with the kids was the Christmas story. We rolled out play dough and built a stable out of graham crackers. The kids had these finger puppets we used to create the scene as we read the story of the birth of Jesus. We talked about the true meaning of this time of year.
Zoe was precious telling me all about "Jesus most perfect life"...sigh, love her! We sang Away in the Manger together and then I prayed with them about modeling our hearts and our lives after "the most perfect life". We also thanked God for sending his son and choosing to love us continuously. What joy it is to spend this season with some of my richest blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment