Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Color Me Happy...

While brothers are at school, I'm continuing with mommy school for my little lady. We have been having a blast exploring colors together!
She is matching colors really well and knows all of the names, but she is still struggling with matching the names to the colors.
As you can see, we made a trip to Lowe's to pick out colors from paint samples. I really loved working with these paint chips because it introduced Zoe to several shades of colors which she will encounter throughout her environment. I was hesitant to work with any food items because I was worried my little porker would only eat the manipulatives, but she surprised me...
she only ate a few while we sorted colors, then matched them...
She did really good with her fine motor skills while putting the fruit loops (a new favorite of hers!) on the pipe cleaner.
One day I taped color tubes to the wall and let her loose!
She had way too much fun with the color pom poms in general during our color study...
but she really loved matching them and sending them down the chute!
I always like to add in all my little rascals into the mommy school mix, so I saved a few activities for after school. A big hit was painting in the tub...
 Both Zoe...
 and Kason absolutely loved the finger paints, so much so that they even painted themselves :).
 Max on the other hand wasn't too sure about the whole paint thing. He got a little messy, but was more interested in turning that water on...
 I wanted to make sure I included a little time in the kitchen with each unit, so we decided to make Fruity Pebble Treats...
 Kason has been so good at working on colors with Zoe too while we get our hands dirty...
 As for Max, he can really care less about all this color talk...
 he was way more interested in this sticky stuff that wouldn't come off his hands. He actually thought it was hilarious and kept trying to fling it across the kitchen! I did take the littles on a couple of field trips. First stop was Half Price books where we read various color books...
you may even notice her audience she created with stuffed animals...love her little personality! My personal favorite field trip was to Hancock Fabrics.
 Not only did we explore different colors, we had hands on learning with different textures!
Both Max and Zoe couldn't get enough...
 Max even decided to play peek-a-boo at one point :)...
 During this color study, Zoe has colored and painted up a storm (even watercoloring for the first time)...
 while also trying to find as many color objects and toys as she can throughout the house!
 We ended our unit learning about the rainbow and God's promise to his people. We sang the rainbow song while creating our own rainbows...
 Followed by the culminating activity of going on a color hunt!
Little lady was all giggles hunting down the colors we know through out the house and matching them...
I'm so fortunate to spend my days with this sassy little thing...
 She may not know all her colors yet, but she definitely colors our world happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment