Friday, February 10, 2012

We Finally Convinced Max...

that the world of food is a fabulous place to be! Mr. Max ate baby food for the first time yesterday from a spoon. His scrumptious meal consisted of the oh-so tasty bananas!
In the hospital, I consulted with the speech therapist that I had met there during Max's NICU stay regarding feeding therapy. We decided to not worry about him taking the bottle any more since that is a fight and he refuses to suck on it. Therefore, she taught me how to put a little baby food on his thumb to suck on...just to introduce a positive flavor in his mouth. If he was having a good day, he seemed to enjoy it. So now that we are settled in back at home, I thought I would pick up where the speech therapist left off.
After putting it on his thumb a few times, Daniel and I thought it would be fun to see how he did with a spoon. Maxers didn't mind one bit! There were times that I had to really work at getting him to open his mouth, and at other times he opened for me...I'm thinking that is some major progress! He was really content the whole time and even started cooing to me while I was feeding him his milk...
I have been giving a spoon to Max to play with and chew this past week so the spoon wouldn't be foreign to him whenever I introduced it with food on it. I think that was why he was so successful eating for the first time. In the picture above, you can see the syringe I use to feed Max his milk in...he often tries to grab it with his left hand and help me out...therefore I had to distract him!
As you can imagine, we are a little pumped here at the Clayton Crew because Max jumped a huge hurdle last night! Yet again we are rejoicing in our little love bugs continued progress!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I know you are super-excited that Max has begun eating some baby food. Kason looks pretty happy about it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Max! Love that little double chin!! He is looking so much 'squishier'!! Haha, I love it!

    ReplyDelete