Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pedal Power...

Daniel has been cycling for years, but I must confess to you friends that I've had an aversion to bikes since I was a kid. Unfortunately, even though I was a tomboy I was also a bit klutzy on the bike and fell several times...oh no, not minor scrapes but broken nose and gaping busted chin type crashes. Therefore, I just went to my happy place every time the hubs jumped on the bike and headed out. Since Kason has always been a mini-me of his daddy, all he has ever wanted to do is ride the road with his favorite person. You will often see these two riding around our neighborhood...
or riding the sidewalk in front of our house since Kason is learning how to ride without training wheels...
Often times, you can find Zoe and I hanging out in the back of Daniel's 4runner as we watch these guys use their pedal power. Zoe has discovered bikes more recently is ready for her little stubby legs to grow longer so she can enjoy the ride...
Little lady also thinks it quite fun to wear our cycling helmets as her newest accessory...
Of course we can't leave out one of our favorite little guys...Max! He also has a special bike that he can't pedal yet, but we can strap his feet into and when we push him (like you see his nurse doing in the pic), it forces his legs to move and strengthen. 
This is a great exercise to help Max's weaker right side, plus this little fella LOVES to enjoy some fresh air. With my whole family jumping onto Daddy's cycling bandwagon, I thought it might be time to conquer my fears of the two wheeled beast. A few months ago I began riding my bike on a trainer in the house to get warmed up before hitting the road and trails every so often. 
Can I just say that I have fallen in love? I am having a blast learning how to cycle and am starting to get geeked up about the sport just like Daniel...who would have ever thought? The best part about cycling is that it is so much fun do to as a couple together. We have really enjoyed spending couple time together, visiting about life away from our rambunctious little rascals, all while getting in great exercise. It has also been fun to have a little fun racing (which of course I never even come close to winning, that is right, I get smoke)...overall though, it has been good quality time for our marriage.
I am super excited to say that yesterday was our first organized ride together. We completed a 26 mile loop which was my longest ride to date! I also must share that my husband is AMAZING because I am still a beginner rider and go at a snail's pace. Daniel has continued to be patient and encouraging as he teaches me the ropes. I keep teasing him that one day I'm going to become a speed demon and he better watch his back :). I absolutely love that our family now has an activity that we can all do together. I envision many family rides and races ahead of us. I especially can't wait to put Max into a bike carrier so he can join in on the riding fun as the other two get older. Our new family motto has now become enjoy the ride...I'm not sure about your, but I know we surely are!

No comments:

Post a Comment