Tuesday, January 17, 2012

You will never believe...

Max smiled and giggled for the first time!!! Daniel and I have been working with him for a LONG time to try and get him to smile. We know when he is happy because he will coo and talk to us, but never has smiled back at us. My wish was for him to at least smile by his 1st birthday and he showed off last night for us...
You will have to excuse the pictures...they aren't very good because I was trying to tickle him under the chin and take a quick snap at the same time...but you can see his little quirk of a grin!!!
So, this story actually began on Saturday evening. Maxers was having a good 'ole time swinging away when Daniel started tickling him under his chin and before we know it he giggles! Daniel kept tickling him and he giggled two more times...we were ecstatic as you can imagine since we have been waiting for months for this type of interaction. Then last night while I was putting Max's pajamas on and I was talking to him, he smiled back at me without me tickling him! It was pure bliss my friends!!! Of course Daniel and Kason had to join in the fun with me so we all crowded around his changing table acting like fools smiling, giggling, cooing...just about anything to get him to respond back.
I tell you what, this feeding tube has made the world of difference for our Mr. Max. He is much more content, cries and fusses less, and is just way too much fun to be around. Since I don't have to worry about him loosing too many calories now, I have been moving his awake/play time all around the house...
His little temper kicks in for a few minutes to let me know he isn't happy about the new change in scenery or activity, but he eventually gets over it and enjoys himself. I made another attempt at the bumbo chair today and after propping him up with many blankets shoved in it, he actually played for a few minutes before getting tired. I'm telling you, he just keeps getting better and better...I'm lovin' it! Another new development for Max is that he got his Mic-Key button yesterday...
The feeding tubing that he had is for temporary feeding tubes, so he had a Mic-Key button replace the tubing. He will keep the Mic-Key button for around 2 years. I've already been asking our OT when we can start baby food with him and she said it will still be a couple of months. So maybe by the summer we will have a giggling, baby food eating, sitting up little boy...I can hardly wait!

1 comment: