Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cheers for Max...

We are having a huge pep rally at the Clayton Household cheering on Max because he finally learned how to suck his thumb!
I know that probably sounds silly to most, but if you lived with this little guy then you would create your own cheering section for him! Mr. Max unfortunately is an extremely fussy baby and cries a lot...I mean, a lot. Once or twice a week he will cry for 2 hours straight and there is nothing you can do to soothe him or calm him down. I mean NOTHING...holding in various positions, rocking, swaying, bouncing, play gym, bumbo, swing, feeding, mobile...it is really sad because you just have to let him cry it out in his bed. Max just figured out that when he is really upset he can stick that little thumb in and it instantly begins to soothe him. Of course he has to whine to me a little bit intermingled with sucking his thumb, but then he usually gives up and calms down. Max wakes up crying a minimum of 4 times a night (crying varies from 10 minutes to 2 hours) and last night was heavenly because he put himself back to sleep in less than 5 minutes each time...WOW is all I can say...I actually got sleep!!! Daniel and I met with a neurosurgeon today to get an MRI scheduled to make sure his brain hemorrhage is taking care of itself and he doesn't need a shunt put in...if he needs a shunt then it means that Max is having inter-cranial pressure which is like having a headache 24/7...therefore the crying makes complete sense, just sad for Mom and Dad who can't help make him feel better.
When Max is happy and awake, he is a complete joy! He is still enjoying looking at his hands and is starting to hold on to objects other than hands or blankets...
Max is rolling completely from his back to his tummy so he now prefers to sleep that way. Another huge break through is that when Max is finished eating he will allow me to hold him in a cradle hold and he will look at me! This is huge for two reasons: 1. Max doesn't like being held up close to your body unless he just finished eating and is about to go to sleep and 2. Max doesn't like to look at you straight in the face much less the eyes. Now he will lay in my arms, look at me while I visit with him, and coo occasionally...it is motherhood bliss! Therefore, I think Max deserves cheers all around!

1 comment: